The Magic of Color

When people ask me how long I've been designing, you may have already heard me say, "I've been creating since I was old enough to hold a crayon". It's true. As makers we all have different tastes, preferences and design ideas, but many of us have a very special thing in common: color. What do I mean by this? Have you ever looked up at an evening sky and marveled at the colors? While those around you may be saying "Look at how pretty the sky is!", you're saying "Look at all the colors! Do you see the coral, baby pink, and aqua?". It's the difference between "blue" and "cornflower blue". Colors evoke emotions, memories and feelings and how blessed we are to live in a world full of them! 

As an artist and a quilter, I love playing with colors and designing a little bit everyday. I enjoy getting to look at things from a new perspective and imagine the possibilities...I mix fabrics like paints. Moda Fabrics has a fantastic and versatile pattern available for free called "Moda Love". It gives instructions and measurements for layer cakes, charm squares and mini charms so the possibilities are endless! Moda is currently hosting a sew-along on Instagram from today, January 25, 2019-February 14, 2019 so you can join in at any time! 

If I have the time, I will never turn down a good sew-along! It is soooo much fun to see what everyone is creating; what fabrics they choose, the colors they pick, and the way they make the project their own. As I sat down to plan my quilt for the sew-along I decided on the mini version  (mini charm) for a fun and quick, relaxing project. Then, I thought, "how can I make this project my own?". How I could I re-imagine this exact same pattern into something a little different. If you've been following me for a while, you know I love all things outdoors...flowers, stars, plants, adventure, etc. As I looked at the pattern I began to see how easy it would be to transform this beautiful star-like pattern into a flower!! A sunflower!!! Immediately I began playing with apricot orange, clementine orange, sunflower yellow and butter yellow, adding the green leaf and changing the center to warm brown. Before I knew it, I grew a quilty sunflower that gave me a bright, happy feeling in the middle of winter. The pattern is exactly the same (and isn't the pattern the most beautiful star ever!?)---but the colors changed it completely! 




Here is the color chart that I used for choosing the fabrics if you'd like to create something similar. The Moda Love pattern is available here.



As you're quilting, remember to play with colors and have fun! Quilting should never be a strict, hum-drum passtime...quilting is a beautiful art which allows YOU to be the artist!! <3 Wishing you all a beautiful, joyful, sunshine-filled day!

Comments

  1. Just love what you did with this block!! I'm not fond of HST's, but your block makes me want to dive right in and make one too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment